I came across this subject in the various hair boards on the net and decided to do my own research. I enjoy reading my horoscope once and while and seeing how it coincides with my reality, but I never thought that the moon and star signs had anything to do with how my hair grows. It could be utter and complete nonsense, but I think it's my duty to bring the info to my readers. I may even try some of this out in order to form a real opinion.
Moon Phase Theory: We all know that the moon controls the tides, but the moon apparently has subtle effects on all living things. The human body is made up of 60-80% water, so in theory we should also be effected by the moon. When we barely see the moon in the sky, it is in the new moon phase. From here it increases in size or waxes until it reaches the crest or peak of the cycle—the full moon. If you wish to speed up the process of growing your hair, then get it cut during the new moon to full moon phase. The full moon begins to decrease in size or wanes until it ends up as a new moon or new phase once again. If you want to slow your hair’s growth, cut it from the full moon to the new moon phase. Each phase is approximately 14 days in length giving you plenty of time to cut.
Moon Sign Theory: As the moon moves through the 12 signs in a month, we are met with 12 different energies. If you know the moon sign coming up you can take advantage of its energy by coordinating a style, cut, color to match the quality associated with those few days. For example, planning a mysterious look works better when the moon is in passionate Scorpio than it would when the moon is in conservative Capricorn. Up-dos are better scheduled when the moon is in Taurus, Libra, because these are linked to Venus, the planet of beauty and fragrance. The explore the different signs...
- ARIES: The Moon in Aries tends to be dry and barren. Since Aries is a fire sign with drying energy, chemically processing hair is not favored. Instead, moisturize, seal and condition heavily. Cutting hair during this time will cause slow growth and dryer hair. Since Aries rules Mars and has dominion over the head and metal, be especially careful with scissors if you choose to have your haircut.
- TAURUS: The Moon in Taurus is very productive and moist. If you want your hair to grow quickly and thickly, get your hair cut or trimmed during this moon. Chemically processing your hair is favored since there is moist growth energy. This is a fantastic moon to color your hair in earthy tones, especially ash blondes and browns.
- GEMINI: The Moon in Gemini is barren and dry. Gemini, an air sign, is far too fickle a Moon for drastic decisions to be made. One minute you’ll want radical, the next you’ll want romantic. After the deed is done, you may regret the hasty decision you made. Like Libra, wait this moon phase out. Look through magazines, have a hair consultation, chat with friends about trends but do no get your haircut. Gemini Moons are great for research so pick up a copy of your favorite hairstyling magazine. If however, you need a deep conditioning, go ahead. If you must color your hair, go “temporary” instead of “permanent.”
- CANCER: The Moon in Cancer is a fruitful and moist sign. It is considered the most productive of all the signs and most frequently used for planting, seeding and irrigation. As the premier water sign, Cancer is the best sign to get your hair cut for growth and thickness. Even if you do not need a cut but want the long, luxurious locks, consider a trim to enhance your hair’s growing ability. Because there is abundant moist energy available, all chemical processes will take well.
- LEO: The Moon in Leo is the most barren and driest of all signs since it’s naturally ruled by the burning sun. Deep conditioning treatments are a must during this time. If A Leo moon may not be a good moon to attempt chemically processing your hair but it is excellent if you want to increase thickness. Leo people tend to have hair like the luxurious mane of a lion. Temporary colors are acceptable especially if they are in gold or copper tones.
- VIRGO: The Moon in Virgo, although slightly moist, is the only barren earth sign. Virgo is the premiere sign of the harvest so only cut hair during this moon if you want to go from a longer style to a practical and conservative shorter style. Extremely thick hair should be thinned out. Virgo moons bring the clean freak out in all of us so opt for shampoos that rid the hair of excessive product build-up. Virgo also rules over health so determine what vitamins, minerals and supplements weshould take for our inner-beauty regime. B-Complex and Silica are especially good for our hair’s health.
- LIBRA: The Moon in Libra is a semi-fertile and moist sign. Lunar Planters used this sign to plant vines and flowers, appropriate since Libra rules over beauty. It’s no surprise, then, that perms, colors and styles have a better chance of success during this moon although working with a style you already have is better.
- SCORPIO: The Moon in Scorpio is a very fruitful and moist and almost as productive as Cancer. For Hair Maintenance, cut hair if you need it to grow quickly. With so much moist energy, chemically processing enjoys greater success. Scorpio moons are passionate and dramatic so choose sexy, provocative, daring styles now. If you’ve wanted a dramatically different color and style that what you’re currently sporting, this is the moon to do it. Dark brown or black add to your intrigue. Severe styles are even met with success if attempted under this moon. Part of Scorpio’s sexiness is their mystery so think “seduction” during the Scorpio Moon.
- SAGITTARIUS: The Moon in Sagittarius is barren and dry and fiery. Perms, colors and any chemical processes should be avoided during this moon since the fire quality will leave hair dry and brittle. Instead, choose deep conditioning treatments. Cutting now will also slow growth. Sagittarius in medical astrology rules the process of detoxifying the body, so now is a good time to take a critical look at your diet. Greasy, fatty foods will reek havoc in the body and ultimately manifest as lifeless, unmanageable hair. If you have dry and brittle hair, use a deep conditioning treatment.
- CAPRICORN: The Moon in Capricorn is productive, earthy and feminine, a bit drier than Taurus but still good for cutting hair if you want faster growth. If you are planning to highlight your hair avoid brassy reds or golds. Ash blonde or brown is more preferred. If cutting your hair, don’t stray from your current style. Cut for maintenance only.
- AQUARIUS: The Moon in Aquarius is another barren and dry sign not suited for increasing growth or thickness. Definitely avoid chemically treating your hair since Aquarius is an air sign known for the unexpected. With so much drying air-like energy, processing will leave your hair dry. Be aware, though, that your hair may not grow as quickly as you’d like when you tire of it.
- PISCES: The Moon in Pisces is watery and feminine and one of the most fertile signs so expect increased growth and thickness if you cut your hair during this moon. In fact, almost any hair goal can be achieved with success. Chemically processing your hair is favorable since so much moist energy is available.
SUMMARY: If you choose to grow your hair long, cut hair during the first phase of the moon when the light is increasing. To further enhance the growth of your hair, cut it when the moon is in Cancer, Taurus, Scorpio, Capricorn, or Pisces. To increase thickness, cut during these times but also during the Leo moon. If you hate cutting your hair every 4-6 weeks then choose the second phase of the moon when it is decreasing in light. Cutting when the moon is in a fire or air sign like Aries, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Sagittarius, and Aquarius, also prevents excessive growth. I'm exhausted...lol!
Have a Good Hair Day and remember to Love Your hair!!! (...and pay attention to the moon. It may be affecting your hair growth!)